Skip to main content

Argentina were held to a goalless draw against Paraguay


Argentina's poor start to World Cup 2018 qualifying continued as last year's beaten finalists were held to a frustrating goalless draw in Paraguay.
 
Gerardo Martino's side are now without a win after two games of the South American qualifying campaign, having lost their opening fixture 2-0 to Ecuador last Thursday.
 
Missing both Barcelona star Messi, whose left knee injury is expected to keep him out until late November, and Sergio Aguero, who was carried off on a stretcher during last week's 2-0 loss to Ecuador, the goal-scoring burden fell to Carlos Tevez and Angel di Maria. Both proved wasteful
 
Argentina, who humiliated Paraguay 6-1 in the semi-final of the Copa America in June, could only muster four shots on target during a disappointing display against the same opponents.
 
On 21 minutes, the unmarked Tevez flashed a header over the bar from six yards out, Di Maria having supplied an inviting cross. Eight minutes later the roles were reversed, Di Maria shooting over the top, following good work from Tevez.


A dreadful free-kick from Di Maria in the final minute, which failed to beat the first defender, was emblematic of Argentina's limp display.
Ezequiel Lavezzi also missed two decent opportunities.
 
Argentina threw on Tottenham's Erik Lamela and Juventus striker Paulo Dybala in an attempt to break the deadlock in the second half, as Di Maria narrowly shot wide after 53 minutes.
 
But Dybala missed his opportunity to clinch all three points by blasting over the crossbar with just three minutes remaining. 
 
Argentina must now try to get their qualifying campaign back on track when they face fierce rivals Brazil in November.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Football Transfers: Pep says about Mbappe move to Manchester City, "that is not going to happen"

Reports claim that Manchester City are plotting to make a move for talented French youngster forward Kylian Mbappe for £200 million. But City boss Pep Guardiola has come out to say in a news conference ahead of City's UCL clash with German club Hoffenheim that the move cannot happen. Here is what he said in the conference: "That is not going to happen," "Sometimes I don't understand where that news comes from."

BREAKING NEWS: MESSI TO MISS MALAGA GAME

It has been confirmed that Lionel Messi will be missing game against Malaga due to illness.

WEEKEND MATCH UPDATE: CHELSEA MOVE TO TOP OF THE PREMIER LEAGUE, CONTE PRAISES COSTA

Chelsea has moved to the top of the Premier League table as Liverpool fails to secure the first position following their inability to pick complete points against Southampton. Conte has having a swell time and the time of his lives as Chelsea is on tremendous form. Many have been praising his courage to change previous formation that was a status quo for the Blues into the 3-4-3 formation. Since the text against Hull City, Chelsea has been on fire ever since.