Skip to main content

Yakubu Aiyegbeni announces retirement from football



Nigerian International Yakubu Aiyegbeni has officially announced his retirement from football. The 35-year old has not been active since he left Coventry City after just three games in April. He has played in England for about a decade. He has played Portsmouth, Middlesbrough, Blackburn Rovers, Reading, Leicester City, and Everton.

He said in a statement:

"Firstly, I would like to thank God for the career I have had. I would like to thank the entire Nigerian Football Federation and my Nigerian national team-mates for all the memorable years I had playing for the Super Eagles.

"I would also like to thank all the football clubs I played for. The managers, all club staff, owners, fellow players and my dearest family and friends who immensely supported me throughout my career.

"Also playing in England especially helped me grow as a player and as a person so much that I am now settled here. I feel the time is right for me to now focus on the next chapter in my life."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wilfried Bony completes Manchester City Move

Wilfried Bony has completed his big-money move from Swansea to Premier League champions Manchester City.The Ivorian striker, who is on international duty at the Africa Cup of Nations, joins Manuel Pellegrini's side for an nitial fee in the region of £25million with another £3m inadd-ons over four years. Bony, 26, has agreed a four-and-a-half year deal. He willwear the No 14 shirt worn previously by Javi Garcia. 'It’s a great feeling for me, it’s a big honour to be here and it’s a great challenge,' said Bony.

Blatter loses Appeal

credit: fox sports Former FIFA President Sepp Blatter has had his appeal to overturn his six-year ban from all footballing activities unsuccessful.

Samir Nasri out for a Month

       Samir Nasri could be sidelined for up to a month with a calf injury, Manchester                      City manager Manuel Pellegrini has announced.